Dave Stevens IP practice includes patent prosecution, transactions, due diligence work, agreements, opinions (including validity, infringement, patentability, right-to-practice (RTP), and freedom-to-operate (FTO) opinions), counseling, offensive and defensive patent issues, licensing, and litigation. He also serves as an expert witness in technical and intellectual property legal issues and has been called as a fact witness in enforcement actions involving the many patents he has written. He also is an expert in copyright (including software, publications, products and artworks, and other copyrightable forms) and open source issues. He works with foreign IP firms and foreign clients with respect to domestic and international patent prosecution, including Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) work.
The technical focus of his practice includes electronics, computer technology, automotive technology, communications, optical systems, green technologies, software, semiconductors, and mechanical devices.
- Guided start-ups through Fortune 10 companies with respect to identifying IP for protection, filing for patent protection, and prosecuting patent applications
- Provided assistance to foreign clients and associates with respect to patent filings in the United States
- Provided assistance to U.S. clients with respect to patent filings in foreign countries
- Assisted clients with internal IP quality and value audits
- Supervised software audits regarding open source issues
- Represented parties in defensive patent matters before the International Trade Commission and US District Courts, including Delaware and the Eastern District of Texas